What is Email Hosting?
Email hosting is a service that allows you to send and receive emails using your own domain name.
For example, if you own the domain “myfabbusiness.co.uk” you might have a website “www.myfabbusiness.co.uk”. If you wanted to be able to receive emails addressed to email@example.com, then you need to have Email Hosting.
I’m sure you’d agree that “firstname.lastname@example.org” looks more professional than something like “email@example.com”
What are POP3, IMAP4, SMTP and Webmail?
These are the protocols used when your email client talks to the server to send or receive emails.
Some of the common email protocols are:
- POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3): This protocol downloads your emails from the server to your local device, and then deletes them from the server. POP3 is suitable for users who only access their email from one device and want to save server space.
- IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol): This protocol syncs your emails across multiple devices, and keeps them on the server. IMAP is suitable for users who want to access their email from different devices and locations, and want to keep a backup of their emails on the server. IMAP can also be used to share a single mailbox among a number of staff members.
- SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol): This protocol enables you to send emails to other email addresses. SMTP is necessary for any email account to be fully functional, and it works with both POP3 and IMAP protocols.
- Webmail: This is not a protocol, but a way of accessing your email account through a web browser. Webmail allows you to check your email without installing any software or configuring any settings on your device.
CherryWire Email Hosting
At CherryWire, we offer all of the above plus more. Some additional services available:
- SPAM / Virus filtering: Our server scans incomming emails, and checks for SPAM, Phishing and Viruses, and blocks these before they get to your mailbox.
- Automatic Replies: You can easily setup an automatic reply or out of office message using the webmail service.
- DKIM, DMARC and SPF: If your domain DNS is hosted with CherryWire, we also setup SPF, DKIM and DMARC settings as standard. For more information, please see our Blog post on SPF, DKIM and DMARC.
What are the costs?
Our prices start from just £1.80 per mailbox per month. If you would like a personalised quote, please contact us.